Bedford Academy provides a range of support services to give students the knowledge and skills they need to be effective learners and contributing members of the school community. School counselors work in collaboration with the entire school community and are committed to the education and emotional development of all students. Services provided by counselors address academic, personal/social, and career and post-secondary development.
What is the role of the School Counselor?
To empower all learners to choose those experiences which lead to greater individual competencies, more positive personality building which leads to a more effective participation in community life.
How is this done?
By emphasizing attainable objectives and expected student competencies in such areas as the following:
- Developing self-knowledge
- Establishing and implementing educational plans
- Involving parents in decision making planning
- Achieving academic proficiency standards
- Exploring educational and occupational options
- Planning for future careers
- Forming realistic perceptions of the world of work
- Developing effective personal and social skills
- Improving interpersonal skills
The focus of a successful Counseling Program should be preventive rather than remedial, but would include provisions for resolving recurrent problems.
With community support I know we can take our children to the next step in their development.
What are the next step in order to achieve this goal?
The next step are:
Ms. Thomas is a veteran guidance counselor whose objective is to provide academic, personal and career advice to Bedford Academy scholars. Ms. Thomas works to examine and assess any potential or skills students may have and communicate this to scholars to help boost their self-esteem and wellbeing.